Friday, 12 July 2013

Day 4 – NOT that kind of adventure!! Warburton – Tjukayirla Roadhouse



Hello everyone, we are back in the real world after a bit of a hold up with closed roads. Thanks to Dell for updating the blog to let everyone know we were OK. Now for our blog update for yesterday and today to catch you all up... 

We woke at 5:30am WA time to head off from Warburton to Laverton. The time change is keeping us on our toes. I even wanted to make dinner at 5pm!! 

Rained heavily at about 2am and woke us both up as there was a massive strong wind come through right before the rain. We were surrounded by thunder and lightning from about 6pm but were lucky enough to only get a bit of wind and some rain. Weather report says Warburton recorded 1mm of rain but it was definitely more than that. 

Left campground at 7am, on time for once which was nice. We got 10km up the road and road changed back to Bitumen, it was a little disappointing as it was a nice change to have the dirt. The road even though sealed still had all corrugations that the dirt had. About 20km further up the road turned back to dirt, this section was not as good as the last part. 

We came across a camel on the road, we slowed down and beeped the horn etc but he was happy to walk along beside us.. eventually after a few more honks on the horn he turned and walked back into the bush.
At the 5km marker for Tjukayirla the road went back to bitumen and we decided to pull up and stretch our legs etc and that’s when we spotted the “Road Closed” sign just past the roadhouse. 

We pulled in and went and spoke to the attendant who confirmed road was closed due to torrential rain and hail at Laverton and Kalgoorlie, totally flooding the road further up. They were expected to open the road again in the morning providing there was no more rain and another check would be done at 5pm today so see how it was going.

So we paid for a camp site knowing we couldn’t do anything or turn back. Lovely little place with clean amenities, shop, restaurant, and a “Billabong room” which contains a TV, coffee machine, microwave, fridge and a ping pong table. 

We spent some time in the billabong room hoping to get an update on the weather, at about 3:30pm, management came and saw us and told us that the road had just been re-opened again to 4wd’s only. We had to make the decision to go or stay, not knowing the full condition of the road and knowing we would be driving into darkness but on the other hand having more rain tonight and having the road closed for another day or more. We made the choice to stay the night, get a good night’s sleep and start fresh in the morning. 
As we were due to be in Laverton this now means that we will have to travel right through to Kalgoorlie tomorrow as we have a pre-paid camp site waiting for us. 

Due to wind and rain right from the start of the trip we are both sick with a cold, but are getting better and hopefully will be 100% by the time we get to Perth to have a good look around. It’s just another hurdle.

We met a couple that pulled up for the night too, we camped near them at Uluru so we went and had a chat, they had been travelling along to Gunbarrell Highway, they pulled off it onto the Great Central as they said it was the worst road they have ever travelled on and they have driven most of Australia, they said its not just rough, its car breaking stuff, not worth it. They have a beautiful new 200 series cruiser and a Kimberley Kamper Trailer so they didn’t want to ruin everything. 

We may run into them again later down the track as they are travelling in the same direction but with some different stops to us until Broome. 

Hoping for the best in the morning, clear skies and open roads. 

Please go back to menu to read about Today's (Friday) blog. 
 
Cheers,
Rhianna and Anthony.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment