Friday, 13 July 2018

Day 3 – Top Springs to Keep River (updated: NT/WA Border) 11/7/18


Last night the wind picked up badly, it was moving the whole tent around to such a point that we both woke up and wondered if we had a cow or something rubbing up against the camper.

10.14am we left Top Springs and headed for Keep River – first stop Timber Creek 240kms down the Buchanan Highway and we knew as soon as we hit the dirt this morning it was going to be a hell of a lot worse than yesterday. Rough corrugations, thick dust, no wind, sharp floodway entries and steep drop offs all without much warning to keep us on our toes. Mum and dad ended up backing it off to about 50km/h to keep the car from breaking apart and stay out of our dust, but even we weren’t able to get above 90km/h. 

Very slow day ended up taking 4 hours to do 240kms and once we reached the bitumen we were all jumping for joy. Fuel up, food and a stretch at Timber Creek before hitting the road again onwards for Keep River. 10km from Keep River turn off Dad called us over the radio to pull up as he was having issues with the car, very quickly established that we had a flat left rear tyre, quick tyre change on the side of the road and we turned into Keep River. Info board at entry informed us that the first camp ground was 20kms in which permitted generators and a further 20kms to the next camp ground which was no generators permitted, we decided as it was getting late and we were losing light and everyone was over it that we would set up camp at generator camp, unfortunately when we pulled in it was absolutely overfull and there was no room for us – quick discussion and decision was made not to continue onto next camp ground but instead back track to the highway and find somewhere to camp on the side of the road – the drive out was horrific with no wind the dust was impossible to see through, the light was gone, road was rough and patience was nonexistent. 

Down to no more than 10km/h we finally made it out and got to quarantine NT/WA border still with no idea of where we would stay the night. 

Dad mentioned to the bloke at the shed that we were looking for somewhere, anywhere to stay and he recommended to camp at the rest stop over the road and come back through tomorrow – I am pretty sure we couldn’t have hit the accelerator faster, quick U turn and parked up in the rest area set up camp and heated up an already cooked beef stew and cooked some mashed potatoes so we wouldn’t lose them at quarantine tomorrow, we finalised the night with Banana and Custard to use all the bananas we have again to reduce loss of product tomorrow. 

Disappointed that we couldn’t camp at Keep River and now would miss out on seeing what the beautiful place has to offer but we were safe and well. Freezing cold night although the wind has finally left us alone and the smell of rotting fruit we called it a night and went to bed.   






No comments:

Post a Comment